Living on the fringe

My LivingBlog

Offgrid Do-It-Yourself Water Damage Restoration

Should you attempt to repair the damage on your own?

Say you walk into your house and notice that the floors are covered with water.
There are electrical wires in water, the carpets are submerged and moisture is being soaked up by your furniture. It can be a completely overwhelming experience to have unwanted water inside your house. You will be wondering where all of this water came from and how to get it out. You will be asking yourself where you are going to sleep and might even think about trying to clean it up on your own.

flooded-home

When attempting to clean up following water damage requires a lot more than merely mopping up the water and drying out your home’s contents. Even if you happen to have previous experience, it isn’t a good idea to do water damage restoration on your own. The manpower needed for completing water damage restoration is much greater than the abilities of a single person or even a couple of individuals. Experienced water removal professionals working for a reputable restoration company are going to have the necessary training, cleaning supplies and equipment for completing the job successfully.

Why DIY Is Not A Good Idea

Recurring leaks. A leak someplace in your house can cause water damage. There are a number of different places where the leak might be coming from: a crack in your house where rainwater is getting in, a water filter, a refrigerator or a toilet, to name a few. Whenever you are repairing a leak that originates inside your house, it is critical to have the right knowledge so that you can pinpoint exactly where the problem is and have the right tools to replace the needed parts. Whenever you seal a leak inside your house that is letting rainwater in, if you happen to miss even a very small area, you will once again be faced with water damage when a heavy rain comes the next time. The next time around it might not be as serious. However, any leak that lets moisture inside your house could lead to mold growth. That brings us to the next reason why DIY is not a good idea.

Mold. There is a flood in your house. You replace your carpets, get everything dried out, and expect everything to return to normal, right? No, wrong. Your house might look like it is dry and clean, however that doesn’t always mean everything is fine. You run the risk of missing places where there is water damage that can result in mold eventually. First of all, there doesn’t need to be a large quantity of water present for mold to be able to grow. Mold can be caused by even trace amounts of moisture that get under a floor or into a wall.

The Georgia Department of Public Health states that severe as well as serious side effects can result in individuals who are exposed to mold, including nosebleeds, headaches, infections, skin rashes, asthma attacks and congestion. The symptoms frequently are not identified as being reactions to mold. Instead they are often viewed as flu like illnesses or allergies. There are various kinds of mold that individuals react to in different ways. You might not experience the exact same symptoms necessarily that someone else who lives in your house does. In addition, how much time spend inside your house can affect how severe your reaction is to mold.

It is dangerous. If you don’t properly and quickly take care of water damage inside your house, a sanitary source of water can become contaminated very easily. Harmful bacteria is harbored by contaminated water. It can be very detrimental to your family and your health.

Water that comes into contact with electricity can be very dangerous for anyone in the area. If you are considering moving things around in your house, to get the drying process started, you need to be very careful. If there are any outlets or wires touching water, contact a professional before you touch anything. In addition, if your electrical system has been impaired by water, further damage, like a house fire, can be the result.

If you reside in a cold climate, flood water that seeps into your home’s cement foundation, might freeze and expand when the weather is cold. It can cause cracks, which will comprise your home’s foundation.

How can you be certain that your house is thoroughly dry and that it is safe to breathe the indoor air?

Moisture meters are used by qualified restoration technicians. They are able to detect pockets of moisture that are hidden that would go unseen otherwise. Responsible restoration companies get a second opinion always. They rely on environmental service companies to conduct pretests as well as post-tests for every house that they restore. Mold clearance testing and moisture mapping are also performed by these companies. Lab results are provided to make sure there is no mold growth threat that exists.

Water damage inside your house might or might not appear to be a big problem; however even a minor issue such as a leaking sink can potentially lead to a condition later on that is much more serious if it isn’t properly taken care of.
If you are ever in the position of having water damage and/or flooding inside your house, you need to do the following things:

-Shut the water off

-Contact your insurance company and get a claim filed.

-Before you enter or reenter your house, check for any structural damage to avoid getting trapped.

-Wear protective clothing and footwear if you believe you might have contaminated water.

-The power should be kept off until your system has been inspected for safety by an electrician.

-Record videos, take photographs and list damages (complete records will be needed for income tax deductions, disaster assistance applications and insurance claims).